To print Form 4868 to request an extension on filing your tax return in TurboTax CD/Download software:
- Open your return.
- Select Federal Taxes in the top menu.
- Select Other Tax Situations.
- On the Other Tax Situations screen, select Start next File an extension.
- Answer Yes to Do you want to apply for an extension? and Continue.
- Answer the questions until you reach the Your Extension Results page where you can print your extension.
You can also e-file an extension using TurboTax Easy Extension.
Keep in mind: An extension doesn't give you extra time to pay your taxes — but it will keep you from getting a late filing penalty. (You'll still owe interest if you pay after the deadline.)
- Do I need to file a state extension? If so, how do I do this?
- How do I print my 4868 extension form after e-filing it through TurboTax Easy Extension?
- Can IRS extensions be e-filed?
- Where do I find info in the TurboTax CD/Download software I downloaded or installed?
- Where do I mail IRS extension form 4868?