Because of an error in a TurboTax calculation, you may have overstated your 2018 NYS Taxable Income on Form NYC-1127, Return for Nonresident Employees of the City of New York, leading to an overpayment. If you used TurboTax to prepare Form NYC-1127 prior to March 9, 2019 with a filing status of Single/Married Filing Separately or Head of Household, you may need to file an amended Form NYC-1127 to request your refund.
We suggest you amend if all of the following conditions apply:
- You filed a New York state income tax return with itemized deductions (NY Form IT-196) but took the standard deduction on your federal return.
- You, your spouse, or both of you were New York City employees (hired after January 4, 1973).
- The person who was the New York City employee described above was a part year resident of New York City or the New York state return was filed Married Filing Jointly, Form NYC-1127 was filed Married Filing Separately, and the spouse is not a New York City employee.
- You did not amend Form NYC-1127 after March 9, 2019.
You can amend your tax return yourself. Step-by-step amend instructions are available for:
We’re here to help if you have questions or need assistance. You can call us at 1-877-216-2138 (Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time) to reach a tax expert who is prepared to assist you with this issue. Tell the expert you’re calling about 2018 Form NYC-1127.
- What's the advantage of TurboTax Advantage?
- How do I switch from TurboTax Online to the TurboTax software?
- E-file reject F1040-164-01: Form 8862 is missing from the tax return and it is required to be able to claim the earned income credit (EIC)
- How do I save my TurboTax Online return as a tax data file?
- When will my forms be ready?