2018 Form 8960 deductions TurboTax CD/Download ame... - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Intuit

2018 Form 8960 deductions TurboTax CD/Download amend instructions

1. Launch TurboTax and open your 2018 return.
  2. Select File and Save As. Add Amended 2018 return to the file name before you update TurboTax to preserve your original return.
  3. Select Online and Check for Updates. Allow TurboTax to update if any are available.
  4. Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab if you’re using Home & Business), and then select Other Tax Situations. Under Other Tax Forms select Start next to Amend a Return (you'll notice the federal refund/tax due monitor change to zero).
  5. Select Continue and select both:
    • Yes, I’ve already filed my return.
    • I was contacted by TurboTax and told I may need to amend for some other reason.
  6. Select Continue and select both:
    • I want to amend only my federal or state return.
    • Amend my federal return.
  7. You'll see the screen What do you need to change on your return? Scroll down and select Done.
    • Note: This is an automatic fix. You don’t need to make any changes on your return.
  8. Confirm your mailing address and continue answering questions.
  9. On the screen Why did you need to amend your return? enter the following explanation: Original return overstated deductions allocable to investment income. Amending return to correct tax deduction for Net Investment Income Tax. When finished, select Continue.
  10. On the Let’s make sure your taxes are correct screen, select Continue. Select Check Entries and Continue.
    • Note: Amended returns can’t be e-filed, you’ll need to print and mail it.
  11. Run Smart Check. Your Amended Return Summary will show the difference between your original 2018 and amended returns. Select Continue.
  12. You’re ready to print your return to file. On the You’re Done! Print and Mail Your Return screen, select Print Return and Save Return. Follow the TurboTax Amended Return Filing Instructions for your federal amended return.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in