United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
TurboTax Help
Intuit

CD/Download instructions for IND-516-02: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption, then their SSN can't be a Dependent on another return filed for the same tax year

E-file reject IND-516-02: If the Primary Taxpayer is claimed as an exemption, then their SSN can't be a Dependent on another return for the same tax year.

Most of the time, this rejection occurs when you try to claim an exemption for yourself after somebody else, usually a parent, has already claimed you as a dependent.

Less commonly, you can get rejected with IND-516-02 if you entered your Social Security number incorrectly or if somebody filed a fraudulent return using your Social Security number for their fake dependent.

First, verify that you entered your Social Security number correctly:

1. Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button.
  2. At the Let’s fix your returns and then refile page, select the Personal Info tab. Don’t select the Fix it now button.
  3. On the Personal Info Summary screen, compare your SSN to the number on your Social Security card.
    • If it's wrong, select Edit to fix, then Continue.

Next, follow the set of instructions (I, II, III, or IV) that apply to your situation.

1. Select the File tab.
  2. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  3. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to remove your exemption so the e-file server doesn't reject your return again. Removing your exemption will increase your taxes.

1. On the Personal Info Summary tab, select Edit next to your name.
  2. On the following screen, scroll down to A few other things we need to know.
  3. Answer Yes to Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return and Yes to And this person will claim me on their 2020 tax return.
  4. Select Continue at the bottom of that screen.
  5. Select the File tab.
  6. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Don’t select Fix my return, you've already done that).
  7. Follow the onscreen instructions to e-file your return.

You'll need to paper-file your return, because the e-file server won't let the same SSN go through twice.

1. Select the File tab.
  2. At the Welcome back screen, select Continue. (Do not select Fix my return.)
  3. On the next screen, select File by mail to print and mail your return directly to the IRS.

Unless the other party amends their return by removing you as a dependent, the IRS will eventually contact both parties to determine who gets to claim you. Once they've figured it out, one of you will have to repay any additional taxes (plus possible penalties and interest) attributed to the duplicate claim.

You'll need to paper file. Follow the instructions in III above.

It's likely that somebody filed a fraudulent return using your information. Please contact us right away for further assistance.

Helpful resources:

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post