turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

echo4dr

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Removal of duplicate dividends caused my taxes owed to increase. How is this possible?

While reviewing my forms before e-file I found that I had some duplicate dividends. Upon their removal my taxes owed increased. How is this possible?  I tested my this over and over using a copy.  I cannot understand why less income increases my tax burden.  Is this a bug in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Removal of duplicate dividends caused my taxes owed to increase. How is this possible?

Although it is rare that removing income would increase your tax liability, it could happen.   All entries interact with each other on the tax return.  Without seeing your actual return, it is impossible to tell. 

One example is if some or your dividends were from REITs, this would be the most common reason for an increase in taxes. REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) often have a Qualified Business Income (QBI) component that is a new tax deduction for 2018.  If you remove them, it also reduces the credit.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
echo4dr

Thank you for your answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies