turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pooky306

I installed a new HVAC system in 2017. How do I know if it is deductible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Your HVAC may qualify for a Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit if it meets IRS efficiency guidelines, is installed on your existing principal residence, and you have a Manufacturer's Certification Statement. A Manufacturer's Certification Statement is a signed statement from the manufacturer certifying that the product qualifies for the tax credit. You do not have to attach the certification statement to your return but you should keep it with your tax records.

To enter your energy-efficient HVAC in TurboTax:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 5695.
  • In the results box, highlight 5695, residential energy credit, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this section, entering the HVAC as an Energy-Efficient Building Property. Be sure to click the Learn more links if you have any questions. 
  • After you enter the cost of your HVAC and answer the corresponding questions, TurboTax will determine if you qualify for an energy credit.  

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit has a lifetime total combined limit of $500, so if you have claimed the credit in a prior year your deduction may be reduced. See IRS Instructions for Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits for more information.

Can I claim energy-saving home improvements?    https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300639

[Edited 03.04.2018 I 01:28PM PST]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Your HVAC may qualify for a Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit if it meets IRS efficiency guidelines, is installed on your existing principal residence, and you have a Manufacturer's Certification Statement. A Manufacturer's Certification Statement is a signed statement from the manufacturer certifying that the product qualifies for the tax credit. You do not have to attach the certification statement to your return but you should keep it with your tax records.

To enter your energy-efficient HVAC in TurboTax:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 5695.
  • In the results box, highlight 5695, residential energy credit, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this section, entering the HVAC as an Energy-Efficient Building Property. Be sure to click the Learn more links if you have any questions. 
  • After you enter the cost of your HVAC and answer the corresponding questions, TurboTax will determine if you qualify for an energy credit.  

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function and the "Jump to" link (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

The Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit has a lifetime total combined limit of $500, so if you have claimed the credit in a prior year your deduction may be reduced. See IRS Instructions for Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits for more information.

Can I claim energy-saving home improvements?    https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300639

[Edited 03.04.2018 I 01:28PM PST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies