turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I made 9000 over the EIC limit, will the standard deduction of 12600 bring me down to qualify for the EIC? Or does my original income have to be below the limit?

Im wondering if the standard deduction affects the EIC qualification. Or is the EIC limit before any deductions. Standard or itemized?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rainydaze

If I made 9000 over the EIC limit, will the standard deduction of 12600 bring me down to qualify for the EIC? Or does my original income have to be below the limit?

Your earned income must be within the limits (there are also limits on non-earned sources such as dividends and stock that limit EIC eligibility).  The deduction does not affect EIC qualification limit.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rainydaze

Your earned income must be within the limits (there are also limits on non-earned sources such as dividends and stock that limit EIC eligibility).  The deduction does not affect EIC qualification limit.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies