Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlangley

I DONATED HAY BALES FROM MY LAND TO A CHARITABBLE ORGANIZATION. THAT DONATION IS WORTH $1800. HOW DO I VALUE THE VALUE OF THE DONATION?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

I DONATED HAY BALES FROM MY LAND TO A CHARITABBLE ORGANIZATION. THAT DONATION IS WORTH $1800. HOW DO I VALUE THE VALUE OF THE DONATION?

You will determine the Fair Market Value of the hay bales at the time that you donated them. Per the IRS Fair Market Value is defined as such:

"To figure how much you may deduct for property that you contribute, you must first determine its fair market value on the date of the contribution.

Fair market value.   Fair market value (FMV) is the price that property would sell for on the open market. It is the price that would be agreed on between a willing buyer and a willing seller, with neither being required to act, and both having reasonable knowledge of the relevant facts. If you put a restriction on the use of property you donate, the FMV must reflect that restriction."
What Is Fair Market Value (FMV)?
It would be best to find the Retail Price of these Hay Bales and create and keep this in your records. The most ideal record to prove this price would be an advertisement for the same product or even better a letter from the organization that received the donation placing a value on your donation.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

You will determine the Fair Market Value of the hay bales at the time that you donated them. Per the IRS Fair Market Value is defined as such:

"To figure how much you may deduct for property that you contribute, you must first determine its fair market value on the date of the contribution.

Fair market value.   Fair market value (FMV) is the price that property would sell for on the open market. It is the price that would be agreed on between a willing buyer and a willing seller, with neither being required to act, and both having reasonable knowledge of the relevant facts. If you put a restriction on the use of property you donate, the FMV must reflect that restriction."
What Is Fair Market Value (FMV)?
It would be best to find the Retail Price of these Hay Bales and create and keep this in your records. The most ideal record to prove this price would be an advertisement for the same product or even better a letter from the organization that received the donation placing a value on your donation.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies