turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlemchick

Should last year's future depreciation match this year's current depreciation?

I'm using TT to complete the taxes for my small business this year using a copy of last year's return that was completed by an accountant.  The depreciation report from last year lists the future depreciation for one asset as $155 however the amount for current depreciation now calculated in TT for the same asset is $0.  All other assets tie in from last year to this year except this one.  I've triple checked all amounts/methods/conventions, etc entered for this asset and they match last year.  Should I manually enter/override or can they be different?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your asset entry worksheet shows you paid $998 for the asset, and that you have already taken $1104 of depreciation ($498 Special Depreciation Allowance plus $606 of regular depreciation).

So you need to change the "prior depreciation" to only the amount of regular depreciation taken (don't include the Special Depreciation Allowance that was taken), which looks like $108 in your case.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

So if you did not transfer in the prior year data, you would have to enter the Asset, date placed in service, cost, prior depreciation taken--Did you do this?
jlemchick

Yes -  I entered all info; asset, date, cost, % of use, SDA, depreciable basis, life, method/convention and prior depreciation all match prior year.

Business use would be 100% that is why some are not allowed.
jlemchick

Business use is 100%.

You may consider deleting that asset and re-enter it.

If it still shows $0, it may help if you post all of the information about that asset here, as that MIGHT help us determine what is going on.
jlemchick

date - 6/19/17;  cost - 995; % of use - 100; SDA - 498; depreciable basis - 497; life - 5; method/convention  - 200DB/MQ; prior dep - 606.

Weird, everything seems correct to me.  Did you delete and re-enter the asset?

Have you checked the actual tax forms to see if it is showing up?  Sometime the screens within TurboTax show weird information.
jlemchick

Yes, I've deleted and re-entered and am still getting $0 for current depreciation.  Checked Form 4562 and deprecation reports, and all are short $155 on current depreciation.

Instead of an override see if you can add $155 to basis on life of one year, until I can figure out what happened.  

Can you send a pdf of just this asset and no Privacy information on it like your EIN or name I do not want to see
jlemchick

Uploaded the asset wks for that item.  Thanks for checking it out - any help is greatly appreciated - I'm pulling out my hair!

seems like is using state amount of $497 which would result in $0 depreciation.  But the question is why is it doing it on the Federal return

I'll keep looking

Your asset entry worksheet shows you paid $998 for the asset, and that you have already taken $1104 of depreciation ($498 Special Depreciation Allowance plus $606 of regular depreciation).

So you need to change the "prior depreciation" to only the amount of regular depreciation taken (don't include the Special Depreciation Allowance that was taken), which looks like $108 in your case.

jlemchick

THANK YOU!  I seriously think you just saved my sanity 🙂 The current depreciation amount is now $156 vs $155 on last year's future deprecation report - safe to assume the dollar difference won't matter or no?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies