turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1098-C if Box 7 is checked do I need to file this form with Form 8453 (Turbo Tax instr) Car donation was $500.

These forms are confusing - it says do not need to file if $500 or under - but Turbo Tax instructions say yes have to file - I definitely want to do the right thing but don't want to send forms not needed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 1098-C if Box 7 is checked do I need to file this form with Form 8453 (Turbo Tax instr) Car donation was $500.

You don't need to send the form with a claimed value of only exactly $500.  As the Form 1098-C instructions state - "Caution: You must attach Copy B of Form 1098-C to your income tax return in order to take a deduction for the contribution of a qualified vehicle with a claimed value of more than $500."  You should retain the form in your records for substantiation if ever needed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You don't need to send the form with a claimed value of only exactly $500.  As the Form 1098-C instructions state - "Caution: You must attach Copy B of Form 1098-C to your income tax return in order to take a deduction for the contribution of a qualified vehicle with a claimed value of more than $500."  You should retain the form in your records for substantiation if ever needed.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies