turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

doctober

My father died, my name as well as my sister's name were already on the house title. I bought my sister out. do I need to pay inheritance tax? what is my cost basis?

I don't think I owe taxes because my name was already on the title. I believe the cost basis is 1/2 father paid plus what I paid my sister.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

My father died, my name as well as my sister's name were already on the house title. I bought my sister out. do I need to pay inheritance tax? what is my cost basis?

You do not need to pay taxes because your name is on the title already.

If your name was added prior to your father's passing, then your basis is the same as 1/2 of his basis.  You will add to your new basis whatever you paid your sister.

Unfortunately, because you were on the title prior to his passing, you cannot get a step-up basis to the FMV on the date of death that would have been available had you inherited the home after death.

For example:

If your Dad's basis was $100,000.  Your basis as a 50% owner is $50,000.  If you paid your sister $75,000, then your new basis is $125,000.  When you figure your Dad's basis make sure you take what he paid for it and add the costs of any improvements he made while he owned it to get his basis. Basis is not always the sales price if improvements were added.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

You do not need to pay taxes because your name is on the title already.

If your name was added prior to your father's passing, then your basis is the same as 1/2 of his basis.  You will add to your new basis whatever you paid your sister.

Unfortunately, because you were on the title prior to his passing, you cannot get a step-up basis to the FMV on the date of death that would have been available had you inherited the home after death.

For example:

If your Dad's basis was $100,000.  Your basis as a 50% owner is $50,000.  If you paid your sister $75,000, then your new basis is $125,000.  When you figure your Dad's basis make sure you take what he paid for it and add the costs of any improvements he made while he owned it to get his basis. Basis is not always the sales price if improvements were added.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies