turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mbond

Can I rent a car for business travel and declare the simple $0.545/mi. without the cost of fuel or parking etc.?

I am using a rental car for my business travel.  Can I declare the simple $0.545/mi. for the total cost of rental, fuel, or parking etc.?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanO

Can I rent a car for business travel and declare the simple $0.545/mi. without the cost of fuel or parking etc.?

You could use the standard mileage using a rental car for your business.

You could also deduct the rental expense, gas, maintenance and repairs. which could be a bigger deduction if you want to track actual expense.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanO

You could use the standard mileage using a rental car for your business.

You could also deduct the rental expense, gas, maintenance and repairs. which could be a bigger deduction if you want to track actual expense.

Hal_Al
Level 15

You cannot use the standard mileage rate, because you do not own  the car. You may deduct the rent payments and the gas and parking.

Even when you use the standard mileage rate, you are allowed to deduct parking and tolls, in addition. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies