turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KK1

Can I take a deduction for long term care insurance in my independent business section as well as deduction in my medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Can I take a deduction for long term care insurance in my independent business section as well as deduction in my medical expenses?

You can take a deduction for long term care insurance, but only once - either as a self-employed deduction (Line 29 of Form 1040, "above-the-line") or as an individual deduction (Schedule A, Form 1040).

Self-employed deduction - The tax advantages of a long-term care policy ramp up sharply if you're self-employed. Rather than listing your premiums on Schedule A, they go directly on line 29 ("Self-employed health insurance deduction") on Form 1040.

Individual deduction - Because the long-term care insurance portion is capped by age and because only the portion of your total medical expenses that exceeds 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income is deductible, few employed individuals realize a full deduction on their long-term care premium.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

You can take a deduction for long term care insurance, but only once - either as a self-employed deduction (Line 29 of Form 1040, "above-the-line") or as an individual deduction (Schedule A, Form 1040).

Self-employed deduction - The tax advantages of a long-term care policy ramp up sharply if you're self-employed. Rather than listing your premiums on Schedule A, they go directly on line 29 ("Self-employed health insurance deduction") on Form 1040.

Individual deduction - Because the long-term care insurance portion is capped by age and because only the portion of your total medical expenses that exceeds 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income is deductible, few employed individuals realize a full deduction on their long-term care premium.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies