turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: The system says I don't qualify for a home office deduction even though I meet all the criteria. Can I override this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
agal703

Tax Year Prior to 2020: The system says I don't qualify for a home office deduction even though I meet all the criteria. Can I override this?

I am having the same issue.  There is a net profit, we meet all criteria but it is not coming through on tax return because no net profit??
agal703

Did you ever find a fix for this?
agal703

I found the fix.  my % of net profit was not correct.  Once that was fixed the deduction worked.

You can't override it, but you may want to go back through the Home Office section to make sure all information is answered correctly (see below). The most common reason for a home office to be disallowed is due to not having a "net profit" from your business.

Your "net" profit is the amount after expenses.  This would include vehicle expenses, advertising, supplies, etc.  If you still had a net profit after that, you should get the Home Office deduction.  You can check your net profit by previewing your 1040.  Line 12 of your 1040 will show the business profit or loss.

How do I Preview my TurboTax online return before filing?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302322

How to get to the area to review your home office expenses  While inside the software and working on your return, type Schedule C in the Search at the top of the screen (you may see a magnifying glass there).  There will be a popup that says Jump to Schedule C.  Select that to get to the general area. 

Then:

• select Edit next to your business (if it is there)
  • scroll to Business Expenses
  • then Home Office

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies