turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rcconant

There are LOTS of items that don't show up on "its deductible" like tin snips ,caulking gun, soldering gun what do I do about them ??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

There are LOTS of items that don't show up on "its deductible" like tin snips ,caulking gun, soldering gun what do I do about them ??

You can still deduct your tools, even if they are not specifically listed on it's deductible.  You can either value them yourself (by using the instructions below) or choose other tools that may have similar value.  TurboTax, through It's Deductible, only uses what the IRS lists as items, however the list is not inclusive.

To enter your tool donations follow these steps:

1.  Go to Federal, select Deductions and Credits, then choose Charitable Donations.

2.  Go down the list and select Donations to Charity in 2017.  (Do Not choose the Import from It's Deductible online)

3.  Answer yes that you want to report a charitable donation.

4.  Enter the name of the charity.  Choose to Add Items (list includes tools).

5.  On the next page, choose the right-hand box, "I'll value them".

6.  Enter the date of donation.

7.  Select other personal items in the category of items to donate.

8.  The following information will be a series of questions regarding your purchase and the value of the vehicle.  When entering how you came up with the value of the vehicle, choose either present value or thrift shop value, whichever you think is appropriate for your tools.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

You can still deduct your tools, even if they are not specifically listed on it's deductible.  You can either value them yourself (by using the instructions below) or choose other tools that may have similar value.  TurboTax, through It's Deductible, only uses what the IRS lists as items, however the list is not inclusive.

To enter your tool donations follow these steps:

1.  Go to Federal, select Deductions and Credits, then choose Charitable Donations.

2.  Go down the list and select Donations to Charity in 2017.  (Do Not choose the Import from It's Deductible online)

3.  Answer yes that you want to report a charitable donation.

4.  Enter the name of the charity.  Choose to Add Items (list includes tools).

5.  On the next page, choose the right-hand box, "I'll value them".

6.  Enter the date of donation.

7.  Select other personal items in the category of items to donate.

8.  The following information will be a series of questions regarding your purchase and the value of the vehicle.  When entering how you came up with the value of the vehicle, choose either present value or thrift shop value, whichever you think is appropriate for your tools.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies