turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child care expense credit for preschool tuition that covers 2 calendar year

If I paid for my 4 year old to go to preschool on July 2018 but the tuition is good for August 2018 through June 2019, would I enter the full amount of tuition I paid in July 2018 ($7,000) or break it down by month and only up to December 2018? 

Thank You

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

You can report only the tuition expenses that apply to 2018 on this year's return then report the remaining amount on next year's return.

So I would enter the portion of the tuition that is for 2018 where it ask "total dependent care expenses you paid for (name):" and for the part about care provide, under "total paid to this provider in 2018", should it be what I actually paid in 2018(the full tuition) or portion?
Thank You
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Report just the portion of the tuition that applies to the time your child was in the pre-school program in 2018. Do not report the entire amount paid because some of it belongs on your 2019 return.

Thank You. I understand you can only deduct the portion that applies to 2018 which makes sense for Line 2, column C. But for Line 1, column D, the instructions says "Enter the total amount you ACTUALLY paid in 2018 to the care provider".
So do I still enter the same amount in Line 1D as Line 2C, the portion that applies to 2018 even though that isn't the actual amount I paid in 2018?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies