turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

budott

When I enter Business Travel Expenses do I give a lump sum for the trip or break it down into airfare, hotel, etc?

I haven’t had business expenses before last year and I’m just trying to figure out how I enter it in TT

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieCo

When I enter Business Travel Expenses do I give a lump sum for the trip or break it down into airfare, hotel, etc?

You can do it either way.  The travel expense will show up as one amount on your Schedule C form, but you can enter them either as one lump sum for the year or break it down by category for the year.  Whichever makes sense for you with your receipt records.  Just be sure to keep your receipts and records to substantiate the amount that will be reflected on your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JulieCo

You can do it either way.  The travel expense will show up as one amount on your Schedule C form, but you can enter them either as one lump sum for the year or break it down by category for the year.  Whichever makes sense for you with your receipt records.  Just be sure to keep your receipts and records to substantiate the amount that will be reflected on your return.

Can an itemized credit card state sufice for receipt evidence or do we have to have the original receipt?  

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Per the IRS:

Adequate evidence.

Documentary evidence ordinarily will be considered adequate if it shows the amount, date, place, and essential character of the expense.

For example, a hotel receipt is enough to support expenses for business travel if it has all of the following information.

• The name and location of the hotel.

• The dates you stayed there.

• Separate amounts for charges such as lodging, meals, and telephone calls.

A restaurant receipt is enough to prove an expense for a business meal if it has all of the following information.

• The name and location of the restaurant.

• The number of people served.

• The date and amount of the expense.

If a charge is made for items other than food and beverages, the receipt must show that this is the case.

Generally, credit card statements do not provide sufficient detail. Receipts are preferable.

IRS Pub 463

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.  This is very helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies