Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

capdadtt

Can I claim mortgage interest if I've owned the house for 23 years? And..., can I claim real estate taxes of $2,729.42? And box5 says $0 insurance premiums paid? That's

The mortgage companies statement states in box 5 a figure of $0 for mortgage insurance premiums. This makes no sense. My insurance is included in every payment and I am insured.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim mortgage interest if I've owned the house for 23 years? And..., can I claim real estate taxes of $2,729.42? And box5 says $0 insurance premiums paid? That's

You can claim mortgage interest that you paid on your home. You can deduct property taxes that you actually paid on your home or that your lender paid in the year that the lender paid them. You can NOT deduct mortgage insurance  that was contracted for before 2007. That is not nonsense, it is tax law. See IRS Publication 530.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530/ar02.html

Further, homeowner's/hazard insurance for your personal residence is not deductible. Not at all.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim mortgage interest that you paid on your home. You can deduct property taxes that you actually paid on your home or that your lender paid in the year that the lender paid them. You can NOT deduct mortgage insurance  that was contracted for before 2007. That is not nonsense, it is tax law. See IRS Publication 530.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p530/ar02.html

Further, homeowner's/hazard insurance for your personal residence is not deductible. Not at all.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies