turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

afdsz8923

Do I record self employed mileage expenses, and how much can I deduct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You can claim mileage expenses for your self-employment.  The standard mileage rate for business use was 53.5 cents per mile in 2017.  These expenses will help offset any self-employment income and lower your tax.

As a business owner self-employed individual, you can either take the standard mileage rate or the actual cost method, which tracks what you paid for gas and maintenance.

To use the standard mileage rate, you must keep a log of each trip with miles driven during the first year your vehicle is used for business. After that, you can either go with standard mileage or actual cost (unless you lease, in which case you must stick with standard mileage for the duration of the lease).

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for information on how to enter these expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5802554

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

You can claim mileage expenses for your self-employment.  The standard mileage rate for business use was 53.5 cents per mile in 2017.  These expenses will help offset any self-employment income and lower your tax.

As a business owner self-employed individual, you can either take the standard mileage rate or the actual cost method, which tracks what you paid for gas and maintenance.

To use the standard mileage rate, you must keep a log of each trip with miles driven during the first year your vehicle is used for business. After that, you can either go with standard mileage or actual cost (unless you lease, in which case you must stick with standard mileage for the duration of the lease).

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for information on how to enter these expenses.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5802554

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies