turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I really need to purchase turbo tax deluxe for entering 0.85 dollars worth of foreign tax paid from my Betterment account? My filing is so simple (3 forms only).

I have 3 total forms for my tax return - W2, 1099 DIV, and 1098T. Extremely simple filing. I am a returning user for Turbo tax, but it is requiring me to buy the deluxe version since in my 1099 DIV form, there is a "foreign tax paid" which cannot be processed by the free version. Is there a way to override that? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I really need to purchase turbo tax deluxe for entering 0.85 dollars worth of foreign tax paid from my Betterment account? My filing is so simple (3 forms only).

You are not required to report foreign tax paid.  But if you did it would reduce your US taxes by that amount (within limits).  So not doing so will cost you, in this case, exactly one dollar.  You might be willing to abandon that to avoid having to buy the more expensive version!

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are not required to report foreign tax paid.  But if you did it would reduce your US taxes by that amount (within limits).  So not doing so will cost you, in this case, exactly one dollar.  You might be willing to abandon that to avoid having to buy the more expensive version!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies