turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hv83st

Why do I show Earned income credit on line 42a? I never reported any qualifying child.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why do I show Earned income credit on line 42a? I never reported any qualifying child.

You are not required to have a qualifying child to qualify for earned income credit. See these requirements:

For everyone, you and any qualifying children must  have a valid social security number, your filing status cannot be "married filing separately", you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you cannot file Form 2555, investment income must be $3400 or less, and you cannot be a qualifying child of another person.

You must have earned income from working.

If you have a qualifying child, the child must meet the relationship, age, and residency but not the support tests and the child cannot be used by more than one person to claim EIC.

If you do not have a qualifying child, you must be at least age 25 but under age 65, cannot be the dependent of another person, and must have lived in the U.S. more than half the year.

Earned Income and AGI Limits

Earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

If filing...                                                                            Qualifying Children Claimed

Zero           One           Two            Three or more    

Single, Head of Household or Widowed      $14,880      $39,296      $44,648       $47,955

Married Filing Jointly                                    $20,430      $44,846      $50,198       $53,505

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are not required to have a qualifying child to qualify for earned income credit. See these requirements:

For everyone, you and any qualifying children must  have a valid social security number, your filing status cannot be "married filing separately", you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien, you cannot file Form 2555, investment income must be $3400 or less, and you cannot be a qualifying child of another person.

You must have earned income from working.

If you have a qualifying child, the child must meet the relationship, age, and residency but not the support tests and the child cannot be used by more than one person to claim EIC.

If you do not have a qualifying child, you must be at least age 25 but under age 65, cannot be the dependent of another person, and must have lived in the U.S. more than half the year.

Earned Income and AGI Limits

Earned income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

If filing...                                                                            Qualifying Children Claimed

Zero           One           Two            Three or more    

Single, Head of Household or Widowed      $14,880      $39,296      $44,648       $47,955

Married Filing Jointly                                    $20,430      $44,846      $50,198       $53,505

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies