turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avazqu12

Last Month Rule - I started my HSA in July of 2016 along with my HDHP. How do I answer the Last Month Rule - yes or no?

I was on my father's health care plan, but aged out in July as I turned 26. My HDHP/HSA coverage started 7/30/2016, I made contributions each month and still have the plan today. I'm not certain if this qualifies me for the last month rule. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Last Month Rule - I started my HSA in July of 2016 along with my HDHP. How do I answer the Last Month Rule - yes or no?

You answer yes, unless you do not have an HDHP plan for 2017.  Since you did not have your HDHP on Jan. 1, you can still qualify to have the full HSA deduction for the year under this rule.  (3350 single, 6700 family).  You will, however, need to maintain the coverage until June 30 (one full year) in order to maintain that status, and not have to pay any penalties.

If you do not have an HDHP in 2017, answer no.  You will still be able to claim half of your full contribution (1675 single, 3350 family) for the year.  Here is information on this on the IRS website:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p969/ar02.html#en_US_2015_publink1000204045

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies