turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chang648

My total child care fee is $12000 and I reimbursed $5000 with dependent care benefit. Can I still apply child and dependent care credit for the leftover $7000?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My total child care fee is $12000 and I reimbursed $5000 with dependent care benefit. Can I still apply child and dependent care credit for the leftover $7000?

You may only apply $1000 of the leftover $7000 towards claiming the dependent care credit . There is a $6000 limit ($3000 with one kid) on claiming child care tax benefits. Since you already used $5000 for DCB, you only have $1000 left for DCC

View solution in original post

5 Replies

How many children?
chang648

2 kids
Hal_Al
Level 15

You may only apply $1000 of the leftover $7000 towards claiming the dependent care credit . There is a $6000 limit ($3000 with one kid) on claiming child care tax benefits. Since you already used $5000 for DCB, you only have $1000 left for DCC

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes

JulieR
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim the amounts that are greater than the amounts that were part of your dependent care benefit. Go through the Child and Dependent Care section, and enter your entire cost. The amount from box 10 of your W-2, which shows the child care benefits that were provided through the dependent care benefit, will reduce the amount of your credit, but you will still be able to claim a credit for the additional expense.

The following FAQ will guide you to entering these expenses. https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4395614

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies