turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhschumac

I purchased a new construction home with solar panels installed as part of the construction (I own the panels - not a lease). Can I claim this for a solar energy credit?

I do not have an exact value for the installation and cost of the panels, but I'm guessing my builder may be able to provide this information. Also the panels were not activated until a few months after I moved into my house.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased a new construction home with solar panels installed as part of the construction (I own the panels - not a lease). Can I claim this for a solar energy credit?

Yes, this credit belongs to the homeowner, not the builder. Contact your builder and see if he will give you the required information. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, this credit belongs to the homeowner, not the builder. Contact your builder and see if he will give you the required information. 

2 spec homes built and completed in year 1 with solar panels installed and operational.  Sold in year 2. I recently purchased one of these homes and was pushed back by the builders CPA that the credit belonged to the builder. What is different in the scenario wherein the ultimate owner and occupant gets the credit as you have stated.  thank you for your insight. Guessing will need code / reg site to make them change view although it would seem now they already claimed it on their filed return, argh

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies