turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I put all of my net profit on the sale of a second home into a down payment for the purchase of a new second home, does that net profit count as income?

I sold a second home for $250,000 in May, 2017. The net profit to me was $54,000. I put all of that net profit into the down payment on a new loan for a new second home in June 2017. Am I required to declare the $54,000 as income for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If I put all of my net profit on the sale of a second home into a down payment for the purchase of a new second home, does that net profit count as income?

Yes. The days of deferring gain by purchasing a more expensive home are a long time passed. 1997 was the last year you could use Form 2119. It is a capital gain that must be reported in 2017.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. The days of deferring gain by purchasing a more expensive home are a long time passed. 1997 was the last year you could use Form 2119. It is a capital gain that must be reported in 2017.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies