turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prakhush

Can I enter the Foreign tax withheld on the sale of Mutual Funds in India under the net proceeds box (Federal taxes withheld) in the MutualFunds section? (No box 6 there)

The Mutual funds section doesn't have an option to report that the profit is from a foreign location and there is no box 6 to report foreign taxes like in DIV and INT sections. Please advise how to enter this in TurboTax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Can I enter the Foreign tax withheld on the sale of Mutual Funds in India under the net proceeds box (Federal taxes withheld) in the MutualFunds section? (No box 6 there)

Prakhashji,   I  would suggest (a) wait till the tax in India is finalized  or else you will have to file an amended return to match  the final figures and (b) consider the foreign paid tax as sales expense just like the commission etc, you pay the broker -- use the exchange rate of the date of posting or the yearly average ( published by US Treasury ).  Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Prakhashji,   I  would suggest (a) wait till the tax in India is finalized  or else you will have to file an amended return to match  the final figures and (b) consider the foreign paid tax as sales expense just like the commission etc, you pay the broker -- use the exchange rate of the date of posting or the yearly average ( published by US Treasury ).  Hope this helps

prakhush

So to confirm, Net proceeds will be net of the taxes withheld? I don't anticipate on paying any other tax in India so this should be the final number
pk
Level 15
Level 15

yes -- that is how I would handle it
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies