turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work a second job can I claim my milage to the second job

I work a second job and I was told I can claim my mileage. If I can do I use the distance from my first job to the second and back or do I use the distance from my first job to my second and then home
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, some of your mileage is deductible.  You are only allowed to count the mileage (one way) between your first and second jobs. The mileage from your home to your first job or from your second job to your home is not deductible.  You must work at both jobs on the same day. If you have the day off from your first job, you cannot deduct the costs of commuting to your second job that day.

Include mileage for commuting to a second job as miscellaneous deduction when itemizing. Miscellaneous deductions are limited to the amounts that exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income. For example, if your adjusted gross income is $100,000, you can only deduct miscellaneous expenses over $2,000. This amount is the total for the Miscellaneous Expense category, not just your mileage deduction.

In Turbo Tax, the mileage is entered in the Employment section of Deductions and Credits, as Job-Related Expenses.

More information can be found here:  IRS Publication 463

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mware34

I have a doctor that goes to his pratice but on Tues,Thur and Friday his leaves his practice and works the emergency 58 miles away all year. What can he deduct as milage.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. He leaves his practice and works the emergency 58 miles away. What can he deduct as mileage?

A.  None of his mileage is deductible.  That assumes his emergency room job is as a regular W-2 employee.

Despite the May 31, 2019 date on the original question and responses, the above answers actually apply to 2017 and earlier tax returns.  The tax law changed in 2018 and employees my no longer deduct job expenses, including mileage between jobs.

If the doctor is working the ER  job as a self employed contractor, the 58 miles ,  between the two jobs is deductible on his Schedule C.  This is true whether  his regular (practice) job is as an employee or a self employed person.  The mileage from the ER back to home is not deductible.  The mileage from his home to his practice and the mileage back home from his last work place, of the day, is considered commuting, and is not deductible.  Only the mileage between the two jobs sites is deductible.

This thread is old and was migrated to this new forum  in June of 2019 (hence the false date)  so the information is no longer current ...  from 2018 thru 2025 (or until congress changes the rules again) employee expenses are no longer deductible on the Sch A. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies