turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid someone to help us move without receipt, can I include that on my moving expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I paid someone to help us move without receipt, can I include that on my moving expenses?

Yes, maintain all of your records and record the details of the date of payment, name and any details you believe are relevant.

Moving expenses can be entered by going direct to the entry by using the steps here.

1. Select My Account in the upper right 
  2. Select Tools 
  3. Select Topic Search 
  4. Type moving > Go (image attached)
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your allowable moving expenses (image attached)
  6. Click the blue hyper-links for more information about your specific circumstances.

Some tips about moving expense is here for your review if you choose.

Time Test:  If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (39-week test). Full-time employment depends on what is usual for your type of work in your area.  If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (78-week test).
Distance Test :  Click the chart attached to enlarge and view.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, maintain all of your records and record the details of the date of payment, name and any details you believe are relevant.

Moving expenses can be entered by going direct to the entry by using the steps here.

1. Select My Account in the upper right 
  2. Select Tools 
  3. Select Topic Search 
  4. Type moving > Go (image attached)
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your allowable moving expenses (image attached)
  6. Click the blue hyper-links for more information about your specific circumstances.

Some tips about moving expense is here for your review if you choose.

Time Test:  If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (39-week test). Full-time employment depends on what is usual for your type of work in your area.  If you are self-employed, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months and for a total of at least 78 weeks during the first 24 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location (78-week test).
Distance Test :  Click the chart attached to enlarge and view.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies