turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as a carrier for USPS. As a Rural Carrier I drive my own vehicle. A portion of my daily pay is reimbursement for mileage. Can I claim any work related expenses.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I work as a carrier for USPS. As a Rural Carrier I drive my own vehicle. A portion of my daily pay is reimbursement for mileage. Can I claim any work related expenses.

Yes, if you have job-related expenses that are more than the reimbursement you received.

Note that employee job-related expenses are considered Miscellaneous Expenses; total Miscellaneous Expenses must exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI) in order to be included on your tax return.

To enter these expenses in TurboTax:

1. Select Federal Taxes.
  2. Select Deductions & Credits, and in the next screen, click "I'll choose what I work on."
  3. Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
  4. Click on the Start/Update button next to the Job-Related Expenses category.
  5. Follow the prompts.

TurboTax will help you determine if your expenses can be reported and if your total Miscellaneous Expenses meet the threshold to be deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, if you have job-related expenses that are more than the reimbursement you received.

Note that employee job-related expenses are considered Miscellaneous Expenses; total Miscellaneous Expenses must exceed 2 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI) in order to be included on your tax return.

To enter these expenses in TurboTax:

1. Select Federal Taxes.
  2. Select Deductions & Credits, and in the next screen, click "I'll choose what I work on."
  3. Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Employment Expenses group.
  4. Click on the Start/Update button next to the Job-Related Expenses category.
  5. Follow the prompts.

TurboTax will help you determine if your expenses can be reported and if your total Miscellaneous Expenses meet the threshold to be deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies