turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am asked but do not know how to answer: "Did the (job) involve work that's like your main job?"?

"I am asked but do not know how to answer: "Did the (job) involve work that's like your main job?" This is a second job with the only similarity of driving to different destinations while on the job. Should I answer yes or no?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I am asked but do not know how to answer: "Did the (job) involve work that's like your main job?"?

If the work is related to your main job, therefore considered "other income," are you still able to claim the same deductions you would be able to as if you were self employed with the Schedule C?
SusanH

Yes, If it is related to your regular job it is considered self-employment income and would be reported on a Schedule C.
SusanH

If the work you did is something that you will do regularly or related to the work you do at your regular job you are considered self-employed and must file a Schedule C. If the work you did for the 1099-MISC does not meet this description, you have 'Other Income'

Examples: You work for a Construction company all day and you did some car repair for someone, don't anticipate doing it for pay in the future and got a 1099-MISC, this is 'Other Income". But let's say you painted someone's house, put up siding or drywall for them; this is considered business income and must go on a Schedule C. While Schedule C income is subject to Self-Employment taxes you can also deduct any related business expenses.

Once you've determine which type of income you have, follow the instructions below to enter it.

How to get started entering the information for your Schedule C business

In your TurboTax Home & Business edition:

• Click the Business tab, and Continue.
  • On the How do you want to enter your business income? screen:
  • Go through all areas sequentially by clicking Walk me through everything. under Guide me, or I'll choose what I work on under I'll explore on my own.
  • Choose your topics by clicking Start/Update and follow the prompts.

You can also use the TurboTax search box by entering Schedule C and clicking on the Jump to Schedule C link.

Here is how to enter your Other Income in TurboTax; 

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Choose Wages & Income
  • Click I'll Choose what I work on
  • Scroll all the way to the bottom Less Common Income section
  • Click Start across from Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Scroll to the bottom
  • Across from Other reportable income, Click Start
  • Click Yes
  • Enter Description & Amount
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies