turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will Turbo Tax fix the issue to allow the correct entry for the sale of a second or inherited home? Why doesn't it offer the correct page to enter as it did last year?

Using the search instructions for sale of a second home, takes me correctly to the sale of investments section, but it does not allow me to select "other" as the instructions indicate and will not give me the screen to select second home or inherited property. This page existed in 2019, but does not appear in 2020 Premier.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Will Turbo Tax fix the issue to allow the correct entry for the sale of a second or inherited home? Why doesn't it offer the correct page to enter as it did last year?

TurboTax has stated that they are not going to have a special screen for the sale of a second home this year. But you don't need that screen. Report the sale as an investment sale for which you did not get a 1099-B, in the same place that you would report a sale of stock.

• For the description, enter "Second home" or "Inherited home."
  • If you sold an inherited home, enter "Inherited" for the date acquired.
  • For the holding period select "Short term (Box C)" or "Long term (Box F)," depending on whether or not you owned it for more than a year. An inherited home is always long-term, no matter how long you or the deceased actually owned it.
  • On the screen that says "Select any less common adjustments that apply," check the box that says "Any loss from this sale is not deductible. . . ." Then select "This is personal use property" as the reason.

Thank you. Hopefully, they will at least update their search instructions that still show the steps for the screens that evidently have been eliminated. I appreciate the response.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies