Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jwleeser

Will I pay taxes on relocation expenses directly paid my new employer to a moving company?

My husband started his new job on 8/1/17. We have not yet moved. (The new job is over 310 miles from our current home.) If his new employer directly pays the moving company, do we pay taxes on what the employer paid the moving company? Is there any difference if we move within 365 days of his start date or if we don't relocate until outside of a 365 day window?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Will I pay taxes on relocation expenses directly paid my new employer to a moving company?

You are not required to pay taxes on the amount if your employer directly pays your moving expenses.  However, you might still be required to file a Form 3903 for moving expenses, depending on how the amount is reported on your W-2.  

In most cases, you can consider moving expenses incurred within 1 year from the date you first reported to work at the new location as closely related in time to the start of work.  After a year, you will no longer meet the time test for moving expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies