Shannon99

Will claiming my mother as a dependent cause her to have to pay taxes?

Hello.  My elderly mother lives in my home and meets the criteria for a qualifying relative dependent on my taxes.  She receives only her social security and a very small pension that's about half of the $4200 threshold for me to claim her.  I pay all of the rent and utilities at our home.  

My question is, should I claim her and she then cannot claim herself, will I put her in the position of having to pay taxes?  As it has stood for the past several years she has had no tax liability.  I am worried that if I claim her and she cannot take the personal exemption she will have to pay tax.  

Help?

CatinaT1

There is no personal exemptions any more.  From what you have said, you will not effect her situation by claiming her.

NCperson

from what you described there is no reason for your mother to file a tax return; she is below the threshold.  

however, you can still list her as a dependent on your taxes since you state she meets the criteria. 

Shannon99

That's actually what I thought as well, but she was arguing with me.  My how the roles have switched!  Thank you so much for the quick response.  Much appreciated.

NCperson

and p.s. that $4200 threshold EXCLUDES social security payments.