Eggsplorist

Why is TurboTax telling me (and demanding I accept) taking the standard deduction when my itemized deductions are $6959 more?

First, not all itemized deductions count at 100%.  For example, there is a cap of $10,000 for combined State/local/property taxes.   And only the amount of Medical that is in excess of 7.5% of AGI qualifies.

Second, you are asking from TT Premier.  If you have rental properties, those expenses are not part of the Schedule A itemized deductions.

Third, if the Standard deduction has already reduced your Federal taxable income to zero, itemizing has no benefit.

Fifth ... you are filing separately and in the MY INFO section you said you BOTH will use the standard deduction.

Also the total in  the deductions AND CREDITS section are not just Itemized deductions ... they also include credits.  

Save the return as a PDF and see where the credits are applied. 

Or force the Itemized deductions and see if they are indeed better... 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900142-how-do-i-change-from-the-standard-deduction-to-itemized-or...