turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why is the system requiring me to enter an amount I received for assistance program payments in order to claim a homeowner property tax refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
VictoriaD75
Employee Tax Expert

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Why is the system requiring me to enter an amount I received for assistance program payments in order to claim a homeowner property tax refund?

Each state varies on how they handle deductions or credits related to property taxes. The amount and how it is applied varies state-by-state. It is likely that any assistance you received will reduce the tax benefit available to you.

If you received assistance under specified programs, any benefit received may reduce the amount you are allowed to deduct for mortgage interest and property taxes.  Generally, if taxpayers do not pay out of pocket for an item, it minimizes the tax benefit, whether it be similar taxes, interest, medical expenses, education expenses, etc. Property taxes are itemized deductions and not refunded in their entirety on your return. They are included as state and local taxes with a combined deduction capped at $10,000. If your total itemized deductions are less than your standard deduction for your filing status, itemized deductions will not have any affect on your tax return, as the standard deduction will provide you with the most benefit.

Tax Information for Homeowners

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
itskt

I did not receive any assistance. The system will not let me enter 0.  Plus, I can not unclick go through property tax on the previous pages.  How do I go on?

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Which state return are you filing?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
itskt

Minnesota

It wants to know how much i received in assistance.  I did not receive anything.  Will not let me put in zero

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies