turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cpach21

Why don't we get the Tax Credit for having our Child in 2016? She was born 12/28/2016

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
cpach21

Why don't we get the Tax Credit for having our Child in 2016? She was born 12/28/2016

Well, it would have helped if I READ the instructions! Hah! I assumed I had to put "0 Months" when asked "How long has the child lived with you in 2016" since she was born late December. Apparently, both Turbotax and the IRS inform you to input "The Whole Year" or "12 Months" if the child was born any day in 2016, even late-in-the-year birthdays.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Patrice

In the dependent section, Did you state that she lived with you "The Whole Year"?
cpach21

Well, it would have helped if I READ the instructions! Hah! I assumed I had to put "0 Months" when asked "How long has the child lived with you in 2016" since she was born late December. Apparently, both Turbotax and the IRS inform you to input "The Whole Year" or "12 Months" if the child was born any day in 2016, even late-in-the-year birthdays.

Patrice

Although your daughter was born on 12/28/2016, you would still state that she lived with you the entire year.  Otherwise, there are some other qualifications listed below that will determine if you are eligible for certain credits

See attached screenshot:*

Additionally,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301702

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299933

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies