turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

murphyme

Why do I not qualify for property tax credit if my primary residence was in another state in 2017 and I paid 2018 property taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Why do I not qualify for property tax credit if my primary residence was in another state in 2017 and I paid 2018 property taxes?

You can claim your Property Tax Credit you paid in your Federal return, no matter what state you lived or owned a home in.

You may not receive the Property Tax Credit if the Standard Deduction is larger than your Itemized Deductions, which include property tax. 

If your Primary Residence is in a state where you did not live during 2018 (such as military duty station), prepare your Non-Resident State return first, then your Resident State, where your primary residence is located.

In the My Info section, be sure to indicate that your Resident State is the state where your primary residence is located. Then indicate that you 'lived in another state in 2018' (screenshot).

Here's more info:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
murphyme

Well of course! It's because I'm taking the standard deduction. Thank you MarilynG! I have to say, Turbotax made it very confusing by asking me for the property tax info and then telling me I don't qualify, when actually I do, I'm just not itemizing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies