turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do I need to tediously itemize each of my 2017 medical expenses when they were all paid from my HSA distributions as shown on my 1099-SA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Why do I need to tediously itemize each of my 2017 medical expenses when they were all paid from my HSA distributions as shown on my 1099-SA?

Medical expenses paid out from a HSA and reported on form 1099-SA are not deductible again as Medical Expenses on Schedule A - Itemized deductions.

If you use all distributions from your HSA as reported on form 1099-SA for medical expenses, you do not need to itemize your medical expenses. You just enter the total reported on form 1099-SA. The notice on TurboTax is just a reminder for you. If you have enter the total medical expenses paid out of your HSA, then you can ignore the reminder.

Edited 02.26.18  |  1:40 PM

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

I know they are NOT deductible, but on last screen, TurboTax includes note stating "Be sure to include your medical expenses covered by your MSA/HSA distributions as medical expenses on the previous screens."

Or, since they are NOT deductible, do I just say NO at front end when TurboTax asks if I had any medical expenses for 2017?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

In the previous screens, you have to enter the amount of the HSA distributions you used for medical expenses. This is to exclude the distributions from taxation.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Medical expenses paid out from a HSA and reported on form 1099-SA are not deductible again as Medical Expenses on Schedule A - Itemized deductions.

If you use all distributions from your HSA as reported on form 1099-SA for medical expenses, you do not need to itemize your medical expenses. You just enter the total reported on form 1099-SA. The notice on TurboTax is just a reminder for you. If you have enter the total medical expenses paid out of your HSA, then you can ignore the reminder.

Edited 02.26.18  |  1:40 PM

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies