Solved: Why do I need to tediously itemize each of my 2017 medical expenses when they were all paid from my HSA distributions as shown on my 1099-SA?

Why do I need to tediously itemize each of my 2017 medical expenses when they were all paid from my HSA distributions as shown on my 1099-SA?

Medical expenses paid out from a HSA and reported on form 1099-SA are not deductible again as Medical Expenses on Schedule A - Itemized deductions.

If you use all distributions from your HSA as reported on form 1099-SA for medical expenses, you do not need to itemize your medical expenses. You just enter the total reported on form 1099-SA. The notice on TurboTax is just a reminder for you. If you have enter the total medical expenses paid out of your HSA, then you can ignore the reminder.

Edited 02.26.18  |  1:40 PM

I know they are NOT deductible, but on last screen, TurboTax includes note stating "Be sure to include your medical expenses covered by your MSA/HSA distributions as medical expenses on the previous screens."

Or, since they are NOT deductible, do I just say NO at front end when TurboTax asks if I had any medical expenses for 2017?

In the previous screens, you have to enter the amount of the HSA distributions you used for medical expenses. This is to exclude the distributions from taxation.

Edited 02.26.18  |  1:40 PM