or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
picard1701
Level 1

Why did we not get a Stimulus check for my College age daughter

We received stimulus checks for myself, wife and youngest daughter but my 18year old did not receive anything and we didnt receive anything for her.  I was told it would get corrected with the tax reporting process but it still doesn't seem to have included my 18year old and she could not claim it on her taxes.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
annajoe803
Level 6

College student dependents simply were not eligible for the payments. Not on your return, and not on their own. 

There is no payment for dependents, only for children which the IRS defines as those aged 16 and younger only.  Those who are claimed or even can be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer were also not eligible for their own payments.  That is simply how the law was written, unfortunately. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Critter-3
Level 15

The stimulus credit was only for dependents UNDER the age of 17 as of 1/1/2020.  

annajoe803
Level 6

College student dependents simply were not eligible for the payments. Not on your return, and not on their own. 

There is no payment for dependents, only for children which the IRS defines as those aged 16 and younger only.  Those who are claimed or even can be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer were also not eligible for their own payments.  That is simply how the law was written, unfortunately. 

View solution in original post

picard1701
Level 1

Thanks for the replies.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v