One possible reason----did you child turn 17 in 2020? You lose the child tax credit in the tax year when the child turns 17, and then you start getting the $500 credit for other dependents instead.
It sounds like you may be referring to the Child Tax Credit.
To qualify for the child tax credit, your child must meet the following requirements:
- Be under the age of 17 at the end of the year
- Be a Son, daughter, stepchild, sibling
- Have a social security number
- Lived with you for more than half the year
- Not pay for more than half of their own expenses during the year
- Be a US citizen, US National, or US resident alien
Once your child reaches the age of 17 as of December 31st, you are no longer eligible to receive the child tax credit.
You would then only be entitled to the Family Tax Credit of $500.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"