turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I not receiving stimulus for my dependent child?

My son is 2 and disable why am I not getting stimulus for him?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Did you enter him as your dependent in the My Info section of the TurboTax online program?  If so, make sure the birthdate is correct, that you said he lived with you for the whole year, that he did NOT provide over one-half of his own support, that there was not another person in the household that also supported him.

The stimulus payment will be on your federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30 after you answered the questions in the Review section concerning stimulus payments received or not received.

Stimulus Payment - Online.JPG

You can view your Form 1040 at any time. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Are you able to be a dependent of someone else.  Who is supporting your son?  Who is claiming him on their tax return?  That is the person who will get the stimulus.

following @DoninGA advise, note that turbo tax is not yet set up for the 2nd stimulus but should be (we all hope) by the time the filing window opens in late January.  So the software may only show the refund for the 1st stimulus.  What is critical is that before you hit the 'send' button you are comfortable with the number that appears on Line 30 for Form 1040 - that is the stimulus refund you are eligible for, 

Does it matter? Isn't the 2nd stimulus a 2020 tax issue?

yes, the 2nd stimulus is a 2020 tax issue.... DO NOT FILE UNTIL you are confident that the number on Line 30 is what you expect...or you know that TT has programmed in the 2nd stimulus! 

not sure what you otherwise meant, "does it matter". 

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

We know that the IRS is already revising the 2020 Form 1040 to include the 2nd stimulus, but that change will entail a lot of re-programing at the IRS and for the tax software programs.  It may be at least a month — or longer— before the forms are changed.  Do NOT be in a hurry to file your 2020 tax return until more is known. Give some extra time to the IRS and the software programmers so

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies