Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to enter foreign self-employment income?

I have a concern about the personal foreign income section (see attached screenshot for reference).

For all of 2018 I lived and worked in the UK and had self employment income there.

I assumed the correct and only place to enter this in TurboTax is in the Personal Income > Less Common Income > Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion section.

However, this screen (see screenshot) says:

"Your worldwide business income should already be reported in the Business Income section of TurboTax".

If I go back to that section I do not see anything specific to foreign or worldwide income. When I enter my income there (Business > Profit or Loss From Business), I see a large amount is now due (federal) even though I need/should to exclude this income as I'm already paying taxes on it to the UK government, and I am well within the exclusion limits.

Can anyone advise on the exact places I should be entering this foreign self-employment income which I'm already paying taxes on to the foreign government?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should first enter your self-employment income and expenses in the Business Income section. Then you enter the Gross profit in the foreign section to qualify for the exclusion. Please be aware that unless you work in a country with a totalization agreement and pay social security in that country and have a certificate of coverage, you will owe self-employment taxes. 

The self-employment income will show on line 12 on Schedule 1 and the exclusion appears on Schedule 1, line 21 and should result that all is excluded if it is below the limit of $103,900.

Thank you for the reply. I don't think what I'm seeing is correct as I expect to not owe any self-employment tax to the US. For example, in a clean return (nothing else entered) I enter $30,000 in Business Income.
I then entered $30,000 in Foreign Business Income. It tells me I qualify for the exclusion, yet afterward still shows I owe over $4,000 to the US.
Am I supposed to add the self-employment tax as a deduction in my foreign expenses?
I live in the UK which does have a double taxation agreement in place. I should not be paying tax on the same income to both countries in this instance.
DanaB
Expert Alumni

If you pay  Social Security Tax in the UK and have a certificate of the coverage then you would have to overwrite the value for the SE taxes with Zero in Form Mode. You can do that with the desktop version of Turbotax. However, you most likely cannot e-file with an overwrite.
urchin49

I work in Austria, which has a tax agreement with the US.  I tried to overwrite the self employment tax on Schedule 4 line 57. I right clicked on it but "overwrite" is greyed out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies