turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I go to deduct legal fees associated with my job?

I had to hire an attorney to fight a wrongful termination case.  Where can I deduct these fees?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Legal fees are deducted in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Scroll down to Other Deductions and Credits
  4. Select Legal Fees

Note: Legal fees are part of your itemized deductions, if your are not claiming mortgage interest, real estate taxes, charitable donations etc., the fees deductions will not affect your tax return.

Legal Fees you can deduct:

• Court costs and attorney fees related to either doing or keeping your job, including back pay, injury to reputation, and unlawful discrimination claims
  • Costs of collecting taxable alimony or arranging details of alimony payments
  • Fees for tax advice related to a divorce, if the bill specifies how much is for tax advice. You cannot deduct any other legal fees related to a divorce or child support since they are personal expenses not related to taxable income.
  • Fees for personal injury actions where you recover taxable damages
  • Estate tax planning fees related to tax planning or income-producing property
  • Costs of collecting taxable Social Security benefits
  •  Fees to recover income-producing property such as stocks or bonds loaned as collateral

Legal fees you cannot deduct:

• Expenses for personal lawsuits unless you recover taxable damages
  • Legal fees for personal injury awards that are tax-free
  • Legal costs related to the acquisition or determination of title to property. However, you may add these costs to the basis of the property, which becomes important when you sell the property, or if you depreciate it.
  • The costs of contesting a will. This is because an inheritance is not taxable income.
  • Legal fees for divorce or child support actions, other than those stated above as eligible.

wolfnin3
Returning Member

This was helpful in my case. I recently had to file a return for 2017 because my only income for that year was from a wrongful termination lawsuit but I thought it wasn't taxable income at that time so I didn't file (long story). I got a 1099MISC for the full amount of the settlement, but I only actually got less than half the amount because of legal fees. What forms do I need to file an amended return for 2017 that includes the deduction for my legal fees? Also, would I be able to deduct the legal fees on my state taxes for California? Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies