Where do I enter the improvement cost on the secon...

Where do I enter the improvement cost on the second home I sold?

How  do I change the cost basis of a second home.

The cost of any improvements are included in the Adjusted Basis of the home when it is sold.

Adjusted Basis = Purchase Price + cost of improvements made prior to the date of sale.

Sometimes, Turbotax asks for "purchase price" when it really should ask for "adjusted cost basis."  You can enter the adjusted cost basis in the spot for the purchase price. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**

Exactly "how" you do it, depends on where you are reporting the sale in the TurboTax program. There's four possibilities. What section you're reporting your sale in, depends on a number of factors such as if it was a rental property in the past, or if you claimed a home office in the past, or if it was your primary residence in the past, or if it was rental property at the time you sold it.

SO where in the program are you reporting the sale? The possibilities are:

Investment Income.

Rental and Royalty Income (SCH E) (if the last tenant to move out prior to the sale was a renter in the same tax year of the sale)

Sale of Home (Gain or Loss)

Sale of Business Property