turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djc7

Where do I enter sale of business only minus any real estate?

I sold my business in October of 2017 but did not sell any real estate along with it, just the business name, inventory, tools and one vehicle.  Where do I enter that on my 2017 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Inventory is handled on the business schedule and the portion of the selling price that was for inventory is entered as income on the Schedule C. Your ending inventory will be zero.

The tools and vehicle if they were listed as assets, will be handled in the asset section of your return by selecting the check box that they were sold in 2017 (see the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance).

The business name will be entered under sale of business property assuming this was not an asset you had on depreciation from a prior purchase (if you had acquired the business and paid for the business name).  If you created the name then most likely there is no cost basis.  If the tools are not listed as depreciable assets on your business schedule, they would be listed her as well with a zero cost basis assuming you deducted the full cost on your business.

1. Select the Business Profile to indicate the business has been sold.
  2. Vehicle & Tools: Search for sale of assets, self-employed business > Jump to sale of assets, self-employed business (may have to select Business Vehicle under Business Expenses)
  3. Business name: Search for sale of business property  Jump to sale of business property
  4. Continue to enter your sales of all the business property.
  5. Be sure to mark all assets sold for this business.
  6. Click on the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Inventory is handled on the business schedule and the portion of the selling price that was for inventory is entered as income on the Schedule C. Your ending inventory will be zero.

The tools and vehicle if they were listed as assets, will be handled in the asset section of your return by selecting the check box that they were sold in 2017 (see the image attached to enlarge and view for assistance).

The business name will be entered under sale of business property assuming this was not an asset you had on depreciation from a prior purchase (if you had acquired the business and paid for the business name).  If you created the name then most likely there is no cost basis.  If the tools are not listed as depreciable assets on your business schedule, they would be listed her as well with a zero cost basis assuming you deducted the full cost on your business.

1. Select the Business Profile to indicate the business has been sold.
  2. Vehicle & Tools: Search for sale of assets, self-employed business > Jump to sale of assets, self-employed business (may have to select Business Vehicle under Business Expenses)
  3. Business name: Search for sale of business property  Jump to sale of business property
  4. Continue to enter your sales of all the business property.
  5. Be sure to mark all assets sold for this business.
  6. Click on the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies