turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I made a charitable donation from my IRA RMD. Where do I identify the recipient?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I made a charitable donation from my IRA RMD. Where do I identify the recipient?

When you report the 1099-R for the RMD, you will be prompted with questions regarding what you did with the money.

After claiming the distribution as a RMD, a question asks about the Charity and you can answer YES.

There is no place or need to record who the donation is made to, however there is a reminder not to include this amount in your Deductions for Charitable Donations.

The following IRS link discusses QCD-Qualified Charitable Donations:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Was it sent directly from the IRA administrator to the charity?
LisaBr

When you report the 1099-R for the RMD, you will be prompted with questions regarding what you did with the money.

After claiming the distribution as a RMD, a question asks about the Charity and you can answer YES.

There is no place or need to record who the donation is made to, however there is a reminder not to include this amount in your Deductions for Charitable Donations.

The following IRS link discusses QCD-Qualified Charitable Donations:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

wrinderle

sent to the charity.  trying to e file and won't accept it.  do I omit charitity's ID?  Thanks.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You do not enter the charity's information at all to report a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).  You only need to indicate that the amount of the distribution was sent to a charity.  This will come up during the follow-up questions after you enter the Form 1099-R.

You mention that you cannot e-file.  Please share whether you are getting an e-file rejection error from the IRS or if there is an error check condition in TurboTax that is not allowing you to file.

@wrinderle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies