turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tgreenie

When calculating the simplified home office expense, the deduction is not calculated as described in the notes: 111 sq ft x $5. The deduction is $142, What am I missing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

When calculating the simplified home office expense, the deduction is not calculated as described in the notes: 111 sq ft x $5. The deduction is $142, What am I missing?

It depends.  Please keep in mind that there are some limitations on the simplified deduction for Home Offices.  

The most common limitation is the gross income limitation.  Please see questions 15, 16 & 17 in the link below;

Simplified Home Office Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
moasan

I am having the same issue. How is Turbo Tax calculating the home office deduction if it is using the simplified method for home office deduction? I am well within the gross income limitation, but I am getting a different number from what Turbo Tax has computed. With a square footage of 110 x$5= 550, but I am getting $367. Any ideas? Even Form 8829, I am still getting a different number. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

This new method uses a prescribed rate multiplied by the allowable square footage used in the home. For 2020, the prescribed rate is $5 per square foot with a maximum of 300 square feet. If the office measures 150 square feet, for example, then the deduction would be $750 (150 x $5).

I suggest deleting the deduction and re-entering after clearing cookies, history etc.

IRS' FAQ for Simplified Method for Deducting Home Office

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies