tgreenie

When calculating the simplified home office expense, the deduction is not calculated as described in the notes: 111 sq ft x $5. The deduction is $142, What am I missing?

KarenM90

It depends.  Please keep in mind that there are some limitations on the simplified deduction for Home Offices.  

The most common limitation is the gross income limitation.  Please see questions 15, 16 & 17 in the link below;

Simplified Home Office Deduction

moasan

I am having the same issue. How is Turbo Tax calculating the home office deduction if it is using the simplified method for home office deduction? I am well within the gross income limitation, but I am getting a different number from what Turbo Tax has computed. With a square footage of 110 x$5= 550, but I am getting $367. Any ideas? Even Form 8829, I am still getting a different number. 

Cynthiad66

This new method uses a prescribed rate multiplied by the allowable square footage used in the home. For 2020, the prescribed rate is $5 per square foot with a maximum of 300 square feet. If the office measures 150 square feet, for example, then the deduction would be $750 (150 x $5).

I suggest deleting the deduction and re-entering after clearing cookies, history etc.

IRS' FAQ for Simplified Method for Deducting Home Office