turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo tax using my foreign earned wage for the state returns, even though I specified the wage I earned in the US and the wage I earned when I moved

It even labels it correctly in the federal return section.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Why is Turbo tax using my foreign earned wage for the state returns, even though I specified the wage I earned in the US and the wage I earned when I moved

What state is it?

I worked in Connecticut and then in Malaysia for the 2nd half of the year. And I already stated all of this information in the Federal Returns section.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

CT state tax return  looks at all of your income from all sources and generates a tax on all this income. When CT is determining the actual CT state taxes owed, CT multiples the total CT taxes on all income by the percentage of CT source income over all source income.

So if your income from all sources is $10,000 but your CT source income is $8,000, CT will calculate the CT state tax on $10,000 then multiply the total state taxes generated by 80% ($8,000/$10,000). So even though you all your income is being reported on your CT state tax return, you are only being taxed on the CT source portion of your total income.

Please see the screen shot below:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies