turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dblh
Returning Member

What paperwork do I need to deduct my mother's nursing home expenses on her taxes? She has dementia and I will be completing her taxes for her as Power of Attorney.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

What paperwork do I need to deduct my mother's nursing home expenses on her taxes? She has dementia and I will be completing her taxes for her as Power of Attorney.

The statements from the nursing home can substantiate the expenses paid by your mother for her care.  Retain this information in the tax records and you can use this for her medical expenses deduction.

Nursing Home - You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care.

Don't include the cost of meals and lodging if the reason for being in the home is personal. You can, however, include in medical expenses the part of the cost that is for medical or nursing care.

The TurboTax article (and blue hyperlinks) will provide more detail about medical expenses and deduction.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774889

Medical, dental, and vision expenses are reported on Schedule A and entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. With your return open, search for "Schedule A" and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  2. Answer Yes on the Did you have any medical expenses in 2017? screen.
  3. You will then be prompted to enter your medical expenses, starting with prescriptions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies