turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I defer some of my carryover property donation deductions to a later year in order to get the full tax credit for purchasing an electric car? If yes, how do I do it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I defer some of my carryover property donation deductions to a later year in order to get the full tax credit for purchasing an electric car? If yes, how do I do it?

You can't defer a carryover. If you don't use it when you're eligible to use it, you will lose it. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What do you mean by your carryover property donation deductions?  Are you referring to charitable donations?  If so, you can only carryover charitable contributions to the amount allowed by law - you can't decide arbitrarily to carry them over.

These are real estate charitable donations that are being carried over from previous years since only a limited amount can be deducted in a given year. I still have a large amount of carryover from 2015 and 2016.

You can't defer a carryover. If you don't use it when you're eligible to use it, you will lose it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies